Physiotherapists are trained in assessing movement and function. We work with children, teenagers and adults with a disability to develop, improve or maintain movement skills and abilities. A Physiotherapist can also support participation in sport, recreation and leisure activities. A Physiotherapist can help children gain and refine motor developmental milestones e.g – sitting, crawling, walking and running.
A physiotherapist will assess how you move and identify factors that limit the achievement of your goals. Working with you and your support network, physiotherapists can help with:
- Therapy/exercise programs to develop new motor skills and improve or maintain your existing skills and abilities
- Hydrotherapy (water based exercise therapy)
- Advice on mobility equipment including seating, standing frames, walkers and mobility aids, as well as orthotics and footwear
- Strengthening weak muscles
- Stretching tight muscles
- Improving balance and coordination
- Advice on relearning correct postural movements
- Pain management
- Support for you to participate in sport, recreation and leisure activities
- Chest physiotherapy.